Saturday 19 September 2009

Snap Happy 19/09/09

Weather update: HOT. Followed by lightning storm and monsoon.
Khmer word of the day: deik (to sleep)
So a bit of an update!
It has been boiling hot for the past few days, easily near 40 degrees every day and no rain. So we were all kind of hoping and praying that it would monsoon so it would cool down a bit! Last night we got our wish...sat on the roof terrace eating dinner we watched the most amazing lightning I have ever seen. Huge forks which went across the sky lighting it up all different colours. I tried to take some photos and videos but typically it was never at the perfect time! The storm seemed to be happening all around us but completely missing KC so we were worried that it wouldn’t happen. We all headed to bed about 10 (early morning for temple visit, will explain later) and I sat up reading and watching family guy until about 12, when the rain and thunder started...MY GOD it was loud! It was completely mental. The wind was so strong and the noise so bad that I had to shut the windows for the first time and just rely on my fan. It went on for ages and when I fell asleep it was still going strong.

As we have a day off today (Patchum Ben, biggest public holiday of the year in Cambodia) we decided to get up early and cycle to a pretty famous temple about 7km away. When we awoke this morning it was to find that thanks to the storm it was pretty cool and we headed out of town towards the temple in a barang convoy which caused much laughter amongst the Khmer people here. Riding a push bike here is seen as pretty low status and no one rides for enjoyment (too hot!) so they think it is pretty amusing when they see us cycling along. It is quite rare to see barangs out of Lexus 4x4’s, unless of course, they are volunteers and not on an obscene NGO salary!!

So after the 7km cycle we were all pretty pooped and had a water break at the top of the hill (which we pushed the bikes up...I am yet to see a bike here with gears!). It was really busy owing to the festival but had a really vibrant spirit with all the Khmer people dressed in their best and carrying offerings to the temples. At the festival Buddhists believe that their dead ancestors who have been unable to reincarnate, owing to being naughty, come back to earth. If you’re a bad spirit your curse is your mouth being too small to eat rice (which is seen as an awful thing here as they eat nice all day every day). This one day a year they are able to eat rice so they go to the temple to pray and throw rice at them. I did not see much actual rice throwing but there was plenty lying around on the offering shrines.
Lots of photo taking ensued, followed by some drinking of sugar cane juice (which isn’t as sweet as you’d think and mixed with lime and lots of ice) and some random monkeys. We then decided to proceed onto the temple under the hill but part of the same complex. So hopped onto our bikes and headed down the hill where there was an actual bike parking area and lots and lots of people. It was at this point, whilst walking down a really uneven path that I fell over. My right ankle just completely gave way and I was unable to get up as it was really painful. The girls ran to the guys selling cold drinks and managed to get some ice which has probably prevented it swelling more. Was a nightmare as completely unable to even stand un-aided so we had to call Gideon (the tuk-tuk driver from the boat trip) who came and picked up me and my bike. He was really nice and put my bike away and practically carried me into the house. I gave him a massive tip, then crawled to the stairs and spent about 30mins going up on my arse! Then crawled to my room and managed to pull myself up onto the bed. Jean has made some kind of strapping for it but it has started to go lots of wonderful colours and swelling like mad. Yes Mum, I have taken ibuprofen and also some arnica from Jean. So just great really as am now pretty much bed ridden. Jean thinks I have torn a tendon or ligament on the top of my foot/ankle as she has had something pretty similar but I will need to see a dr for confirmation. I highly doubt the presence of an x-ray machine here though and really hoping I won’t need to do 3hrs on a bus to PP for it. Will definitely need crutches though as I cannot put any weight on it at all. Total pain in the arse basically but the other volunteers have been very supportive, bringing me food, drinks and company.

Anyway, I’m going to spend my time productively studying. Hmmmm. Very hot again.

Love xx

No comments:

Post a Comment