Tuesday 8 September 2009

The Calm Before the Storm

Right so time to update you on what I've been up to for the last couple of days...

We have been having intensive training sessions at the Programme Office on everything from cultural do's and don'ts (watch the soles of your feet!) to corruption (everywhere).

It was really very interesting and I have learnt alot, however, sitting in a warm office whilst still suffering from horrid jet lag is some what of a challenge!

No photo's to update on facebook either I'm afraid as I actually haven't been anywhere really. Well, apart from the crazy bike ride around PP earlier today with Jeltje! However, I was focusing too hard on trying not to hit anything and avoiding some crazy road behaviour. A Khmer dude on a moped actually laughed at me...he was coming towards me on the wrong side of the road!!!!! Was definately a worth while experience though!

I have a free morning from 9am tomorrow so I was planning on walking down the river side to get my last few purchases before we head up to Kompong Cham (on Mekong river north of PP). It looks like a really nice place and I'm staying in a house with a roof terrace with views over the town. However, it is a little more rural than PP so stocking up on some luxuries now!
We are all staying there for 3 weeks doing launguage lessons for 4 hours a day 6 days a week. Then heading up to Placement for a visit and it is a chance to meet my co-workers and the volunteers who are living there. It is also the time when Jeltje and I go househunting...We have decided to live together as it means we have more money for a bigger and nicer place for when all you lovely people visit :)

Kompong Cham is quite small but I hear you can do boat trips up river to Kratie and see the really rare freshwater dolphins, which makes me quite excited. It will also be nice to see some of the countryside which Cambodia is famous for!

So next time you hear from me that is where I will be and don't worry I will take many many pictures on the 2hr bus journey!!

Love xx

1 comment: