Monday 30 November 2009

Huff and I’ll Puff and I’ll Blow Your House Down!! 30/11/09

Weather: Windy as hell and cold! Sorry, I know you guys in the UK are suffering from really awful weather at the moment and hate to complain but I’ve just got used to the heat!
Khmer word of the day: tro chek (cold!)

Ok, so it has got really windy here again and after my sleepless night on Saturday, when I was actually concerned about my house taking off, I decided to go into a guest house for the night! I know it is a bit of a cop out but my house rocks all over the place when it gets really windy and scares the bejesus out of me! I have, however, been informed that the windy season is nearly over and after that there is hardly any wind so I think I will stay in my house and stay in a guest house when it gets too scary!
On the plus side it meant that I got a good night’s sleep (concrete buildings don’t rock in the wind!) which was nice. Well, I say that, but another wedding started up at 4:50am this morning so I had seriously loud khmer karaoke as an alarm! I really don’t understand 1) why the weddings start that early 2) why the music is loud enough that the entire town can hear it 3) how the people at the wedding’s ears don’t bleed! Gah. It is wedding season now though so I guess I’ll just have to get used to it!
This morning however, I did manage to make it out on my bike through the wind to Pulong school, where I had a quick meeting with the School Director. I didn’t want to keep him long though as he is teaching 5 grades today as one teacher didn’t turn up, another is giving birth and the other one has a nasty throat infection so has gone to PP for treatment. It is amazing though how all the kids are sat patiently and quietly in the classes, waiting for the teacher to come it. Considering how many kids in the UK would do anything for their teacher not to turn up, for the kids here it means one less day of being able to learn.
Anyway, I have a meeting with him next week to discuss community involvement in the school which I think will be quite positive as he already has good ties with the community and has had successes in getting them to help build a playground.
Just in the office now with the wind blowing around us making some plans for a student support network I am interested in setting up.
Tomorrow morning we are going to Pu Trom school, which is next to our friend Jack’s elephant project so we are going there for lunch. He has his own chef there who he says is great so I am looking forward to it and seeing the elephants in the wild!! I will take lots of pictures and post them on here as soon as I can.
Here’s hoping I don’t blow away...!
C x

No comments:

Post a Comment